Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Get Adobe Flash player

Article Details

BNS Wax Recommendation

Categories: Wax Reports | Author: SuperUser Account | Posted: 2/11/2017 | Views: 1683
American Birkebeiner
BNS Wax Recommendation

American Birkebeiner
February 25, 2017

Event Information

Event information can be found at the Birkie web site: http://www.birkie.com/

Race Wax Service

BNS is excited to announce improvements to its American Birkebeiner Race Wax Service for 2017. We have re-structured our race wax service to make it more convenient, improve efficiency of drop-off and pick-up, and provide a Saturday morning race ski pickup at the start line.  We also have a few changes to our drop-off schedule and early-bird price incentives.  We will also have a presence at the Birkie Expo for 2017. 

Treat yourself to a full race wax application by our pro service team so you can relax and focus on your race, or just drop by our BNS Midwest location or our booth at the Hayward Birkie Expo to find out what wax is running fastest and stock up on whatever wax, tools and gloves you need. We will be testing all brands of waxes to find the fastest solution. 

Weather

Click for the latest updates From NOAA: Finish/Hayward     OO/Seeley     Start/Cable
Weather Forecast for Hayward:

  • Monday A chance of showers, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after noon. High near 53. Southeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • Monday Night Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 11pm, then a slight chance of showers between 11pm and 1am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 34. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
  • Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 54. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
  • Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
  • Wednesday A 40 percent chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 52. South wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.
  • Wednesday Night A chance of rain, mixing with snow after 11pm, then gradually ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 39.
  • Thursday Night A chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
  • Friday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 32. Breezy.
  • Friday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15.
  • Saturday A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 29.

Recommendation

Monday Update - the forecast continues to be a moving target this week.  Warm temperatures are sure to continue through mid-week, but the question for the weekend is whether a snow storm will materialize on Friday leaving fresh snow on the trails.  It does look like temperatures will at least dip below freezing later in the week.  Our recommendation at the moment is to remain flexible, prep your skis with Ski*Go LF Graphite and HF Blue, or Holmenkol LF21, and check back a little later in the week.  We will begin testing when we are on-site tomorrow and will post our results, but will still need to see how the forecast shakes out before having a clear recommendation.  One thing is for sure - we have a full case of Birkie Fever and are excited to get up to Hayward.
 
Check back Birkie week for our latest recommendation. The weather will have settled over the weekend and we will have much better information on Monday. See below for our long-shot recommendations. We recommend relaxing and sinking base layers into the skis while we wait to see what happens over the weekend.

Base Layer:

begin prepping skis with layers of SkiGo LF Graphite and HF Blue or Holmenkol LF21.

Race Paraffin:

see below for some long range suggestions and check back mid-week for our recommendation

Fluoro Powder:

see below

Topcoat:

see below

Structure:

Kick:

see below

Discussion

We will be onsite on Tuesday and will begin testing.  With the trail closed and possible course changes, our plan is to test on the North End trails.  We will post our results here and will continue to look at the forecast.

It is a good idea to start putting base layers into your skis early, alternating Ski*Go LF Blue with Ski*Go LF Graphite can help get your skis prepared for race layers.
Looking at the long-term forecast, we are seeing really warm temps through mid-week, then a slight cooling trend with the possibility of snow, rain and ice. Depending on which way the weather decides to go, we may see a big swing in course conditions. 

Waxes we recommend to consider and have ready:
SkiGo:
  • Base Wax: SkiGo LF Graphite/SkiGo LF Blue
  • Paraffins: HF Violet, HF Orange, HF Yellow
  • Powders: C44/7 and C22 Powders. C105 Powder if colder than expected or more snow
  • Topcoats: C22 and C44/7 solid; C22 liquid. C105 solid if colder than expected
  • Kick: SkiGo HF Blue, HF Violet and HF Red hard wax. SkiGo HF Universal and HF Violet klisters
Holmenkol:
  • Base Wax:LF21
  • Paraffins: Racing Mix Mid & Wet or Speedbase Mid & Wet 
  • Powders: Syntec Mid & Wet Powders, Race Powder Mid. 
  • Topcoats: Speedblock Mid, Speedblock Wet, Speedblock Mid 08.
  • Kick: Holmenkol Red kick, blue spezial and special violet are all good choices. 

Test Results

We will begin testing on Tuesday on the North End trails and will post results here. 



Return
Copyright (c) 2016 Natron Nordic Enterprises, LLC